[R] rgdal under windows?

Kjetil Brinchmann Halvorsen kjetil at acelerate.com
Sat Aug 21 00:11:24 CEST 2004

Barry Rowlingson wrote:

>> Exactly. The closest anyone has got so far is Hisaji Ono, who used
>> MSYS (http://www.mingw.org/) to build PROJ.4 and GDAL (GDAL depends
>> on PROJ.4, PROJ.4 needs a PATH to metadata files for projection and
>> transformation), and then hand-pasted the paths to the GDAL headers
>> and library into src/Makevars, running Rcmd INSTALL rgdal at the
>> Windows command prompt as usual. All of this can be repeated, but is
>> not portable, and does not suit the very valuable standard binary
>> package build system for Windows. Roughly:
>

>> [points 1 to 5 etc omitted]
>

>  At some point the complexity of installing things like this for
> Windows will cross the complexity of installing Linux...

Except it will not cross the complexity of getting linux CD-roms to
install. Based in a peripherical
country, with no internet connection anywhere close fast enough  to
actually download linux, have to buy the
CD-roms. Trying to get Suse 9.1 (since I have suse 7.1 on an old
computer). Amazon
doses'nt send outside north america, so we tried Canadian camelot. They
covered from the
credit card more than a month ago, but did'nt actually send anything,
and dos'snt anymore
respond to (angry) emails.

Anybody know something more serious than Camelot?

Kjetil halvorsen