[R] (no subject)

Tony Plate tplate at blackmesacapital.com
Tue Aug 24 19:43:42 CEST 2004

Looks like there might have been some truncation of Jonathon Baron's message.

Here's one way of computing the sample mode of a vector.

 > set.seed(1)
 > x <- sample(1:5,20,rep=T)
  [1] 2 2 3 5 2 5 5 4 4 1 2 1 4 2 4 3 4 5 2 4
 > table(x)
1 2 3 4 5
2 6 2 6 4
 > names(which.max(table(x)))
[1] "2"

Note that this method returns the first max value in the case of ties.

hope this helps,

Tony Plate