[R] Rcmdr X11 protocol error message

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Mon Aug 30 21:47:39 CEST 2004

Dear Peter,

On 30 Aug 2004 17:41:10 +0200
 Peter Dalgaard <p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk> wrote:
> "John Fox" <jfox at mcmaster.ca> writes:
>
> > Dear Peter and Michael,
> >
> > Peter: Thank you for fielding this question. Michael initially
> contacted me
> > directly, and I suggested that he write to the list since I didn't
> know the
> > possible source of the problem, had never seen it (either under
> Windows or
> > Linux), and never had a report of it before.
> >
> > Michael: Does this problem occur only with certain Rcmdr dialogs or
> > generally?
> >
> > I'd also be curious to learn whether anyone else has experienced
> this
> > problem, and whether anyone has run the Rcmdr package under
> Mandrake Linux
> > without a problem.
>
> I can't seem to reproduce it on RH8 with R-1.9.x. I see a couple of
> other quirks though:
>
> If you bring up a dialog and click "help", you get the help window
> OK,
> but it is not scrollable until you exit the dialog with OK or Cancel
> (by which time the point is moot either way, presumably).

My Linux system badly needs updating, so I can't check this directly
now. Does this problem occur with HTML help? As well, setting the Rcmdr
grab.focus option to FALSE might get things unstuck.

> The "View data set" feature gets stuck in a tight loop and requires
> a Ctl-C in the console to allow it to display the data and process
> any
> events.

Does this problem occur occur when  showData() (from the relimp
package) is called directly, or only when it's called from the Rcmdr?

I'm sorry to impose these questions on you -- in the longer term, I
have to update my Linux system so that I can again perform these tests
myself.

Thank you for your help,
 John

>         -p
>
> --
>    O__  ---- Peter Dalgaard             Blegdamsvej 3
>   c/ /'_ --- Dept. of Biostatistics     2200 Cph. N
>  (*) \(*) -- University of Copenhagen   Denmark      Ph: (+45)
> 35327918
> ~~~~~~~~~~ - (p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk)             FAX: (+45)
> 35327907

John Fox