[R] A possible way to reduce basic questions

Yuandan Zhang yzhang4 at pobox.une.edu.au
Fri Dec 3 00:07:01 CET 2004

I would like to add a few points on the increasing size of r-help.

1. this is a possitive sign that more and more people migrate to R. For starting users of R or a R package, the r-help is unique way to seek answers. Gradually, once starting, I trust, users are finding ways to search answers.

2. DO NOT disencourage users to ask bassic questions, this may scare starters away from R. I believe, most of us experienced such transsion, from basic questions to good familarity with R or some R packages. We should encourage experienced users contribute to Q-A.

3. We may start forming interesting groups to deal with some specifical questions. It is true that not everyone using all packages, or not many people mastering on all packages, but a few users may know almost every aspect of some packages. If a task force can analyse the previous questions, cluster them and identify a number of key areas, this may be a useful start to group people. Directing questions to target groups may produce quick and fruitful answers.

Yuandan