[R] How about a mascot for R?

David Scott d.scott at auckland.ac.nz
Fri Dec 3 03:04:52 CET 2004

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Patrick Connolly wrote:

> On Thu, 02-Dec-2004 at 02:08PM -0600, Erin Hodgess wrote:
>
> |> How about an R-madillo?
>
> I'm for R-gnu which already has a song (as pointed out by Murray
> Jorgensen some time back).  I'm sure an arrangement could be worked
> out with the Emacs people.
>

> The Flanders and Swann song, the exact title of which I don't recall,
> was a response to someone voicing the opinion that the said animal was
> an Helk.  Rather witty in my view and has a spirit in keeping with
> this list.

Knowledge of and a liking for Flanders and Swan does rather date one, but
I must confess my partiality for their humour. For the words of the Gnu
Song:

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/pennywyatt/Interests/FlandersSwann/DropOfaHat/At%20the%20Drop%20of%20a%20Hat04.html

As to an animal mascot, I think a New Zealand mascot is a must, and
suggestions of Australian ones would not be warmly received by New
Zealanders. (To clarify, despite the address, I am Australian.)

My suggestion is the Kea: inquisitive and intelligent. See:

http://www.doc.govt.nz/Conservation/001~Plants-and-Animals/001~Native-Animals/Kea.asp

David Scott
David Scott	Department of Statistics, Tamaki Campus
 		The University of Auckland, PB 92019
 		Auckland	NEW ZEALAND
Phone: +64 9 373 7599 ext 86830		Fax: +64 9 373 7000
Email:	d.scott at auckland.ac.nz

Graduate Officer, Department of Statistics