[R] How about a mascot for R?

Anon. bob.ohara at helsinki.fi
Fri Dec 3 08:51:52 CET 2004

David Scott wrote:

>> I'm for R-gnu which already has a song (as pointed out by Murray
>> Jorgensen some time back).  I'm sure an arrangement could be worked
>> out with the Emacs people.
>>

>> The Flanders and Swann song, the exact title of which I don't recall,
>> was a response to someone voicing the opinion that the said animal was
>> an Helk.  Rather witty in my view and has a spirit in keeping with
>> this list.
>>

> Knowledge of and a liking for Flanders and Swan does rather date one,
> but I must confess my partiality for their humour. For the words of
> the Gnu Song:
>
> http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/pennywyatt/Interests/FlandersSwann/DropOfaHat/At%20the%20Drop%20of%20a%20Hat04.html

Indeed, they also had a song about an R-madillo:
<http://www.nyanko.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/fas/bestiary_armadillo.html>
And no, this doesn't date you - they had split up before I was even
born.  I think it just shows that you have the good taste to be partial
to humour of timeless quality.

Whilst I'm wasting bandwidth, I found the original platypus and kangaroo
(Kangaroo?  Another F & S composition!) reference:

<http://members.aol.com/jeff570/k.html> (see the bottom)

The paper should be available on JSTOR, for those of you with access to it.

Bob

--
Bob O'Hara
P.O. Box 68 (Gustaf Hällströmin katu 2b)

Telephone: +358-9-191 51479
Mobile: +358 50 599 0540
Fax:  +358-9-191 51400
WWW:  http://www.RNI.Helsinki.FI/~boh/