[R] How about a mascot for R?

Jari Oksanen jarioksa at sun3.oulu.fi
Wed Dec 8 16:01:58 CET 2004

On Wed, 2004-12-08 at 14:10, Rau, Roland wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> browsing through the suggestions, I have the impression that the general
> direction is towards an animal from New Zealand (I guess because of the
> roots of R). But since the R Foundation is now located in Vienna,
> Austria. What about a typical Austrian animal? Is there one? Maybe a
> "Wolpertinger". A Wolpertinger is a fantasy animal which is a rabbit
> with the antlers known from deer and some wings from a bird. In addition
> to the "Austrian headquarters", another reason for such an animal which
> does not exist in reality (or does it???) is that coding something with
> R is sometimes so easy that it appears to be almost unreal.

I just wait for someone jumping off and saying this is off-topic and you
should stop posting to this list -- and I'm afraid it could happen just
at this point. However, if you accept stranger animals then the group
called Rhinogradentia gives good candidates (at least as pleasant as
Onychophora suggested previously). First, they have R in their name.
Second, they look like mascots.

The most authoritative guide to the group is:

StÃŒmpke, H. 1957. Bau und Leben der Rhinogradentia. Gustav Fischer
Verlag, Stuttgart

The English translation is "The Snouters: Form and life of the
Rhinogrades" . The University of Chicago Press (1981).

Google will found more info for those who don't have acces to these
books.

cheers, jaRi oksanen
--
Jari Oksanen <jarioksa at sun3.oulu.fi>