[R] US 2004 Elections map

Hedderik van Rijn H.van.Rijn at ai.rug.nl
Thu Dec 9 15:35:50 CET 2004

even for people who didn't like the outcome of the US elections this
year, it must have been a joy to see all the nice (and not so nice)
graphs that were shown. As an exercise, I recreated the map shown on
the NY-Times website [
http://www.nytimes.com/packages/khtml/2004/11/03/politics/
20041103_px_ELECT_GRAPHIC.html ]

If you're interested,

   http://www.ai.rug.nl/~hedderik/R/US2004

contains the created maps, the data and the code. Note that there are
some differences in the R map and the NYT map (most notably with
respect to some missing data in some New England states, some
mismatches in county names, and the representation of NYC), but I was
quite satisfied with the map as it stands now.

   - Hedderik.