[R] US 2004 Elections map

David Forrest drf5n at maplepark.com
Thu Dec 9 17:43:52 CET 2004

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Hedderik van Rijn wrote:

> even for people who didn't like the outcome of the US elections this
> year, it must have been a joy to see all the nice (and not so nice)
> graphs that were shown. As an exercise, I recreated the map shown on
> the NY-Times website [
> http://www.nytimes.com/packages/khtml/2004/11/03/politics/
> 20041103_px_ELECT_GRAPHIC.html ]
>
> If you're interested,
>
>    http://www.ai.rug.nl/~hedderik/R/US2004
>
> contains the created maps, the data and the code. Note that there are
> some differences in the R map and the NYT map (most notably with
> respect to some missing data in some New England states, some
> mismatches in county names, and the representation of NYC), but I was
> quite satisfied with the map as it stands now.
>
>    - Hedderik.

Hi Hedderik,

I really like that -- Is there a place where R collects a portfolio of
graphics and the code to build them?  I think these sorts of things could
help demonstrate and disseminate the graphics abilities of R.

Dave
--
 Dr. David Forrest
 drf at vims.edu                                    (804)684-7900w