[R] Re: packages

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Feb 3 03:09:17 CET 2004

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 05:35:12PM -0600, Barbara Bailey wrote:
> I am trying to make my own package of R functions, datasets and help
> files, which were originally in S and have been converted. As a Unix
> user, I am trying to make a package that installs on Windows and I am
> having some trouble.

AFAIK that is not guaranteed to work. Generally speaking, for any given
system, binary R packages (as opposed to source packages) are built on that
architecture.

There are exceptions, most notably the cross-builds for Windows i386 that
can be generated, given a suitable environment, on a Linux system. This is
documented in a few places; google should find it.

For the normal case, your best bet is to read some more of the fine 'Writing
R Extensions' manual, and to possibly study some of the examples provided by
the over 300 source packages available on CRAN.

Hth, Dirk

--
The relationship between the computed price and reality is as yet unknown.
                                             -- From the pac(8) manual page