[R] Using huge datasets

Roger D. Peng rpeng at jhsph.edu
Wed Feb 4 17:18:45 CET 2004

By my calculation, your dataset should occupy less than
400MB of RAM, so this is not a terribly large dataset (these
days).  But that's not including any possible attributes
(like row names) which often also take up a lot of memory.
Considering that a function like read.csv() makes a copy of
the dataset your actual requirements are ~800MB, which for a
1GB machine may be too big depending on what else the
computer is doing.  I have successfully loaded *much* bigger
datasets into R (2-4GB) without a problem.

Some possible solutions are

1. Buy more RAM
2. Use scan(), which doesn't make a copy of the dataset
3. Use a 64-bit machine and buy even more RAM.

Using a cluster of computers doesn't really help in this
situation because there's no easy way to spread a dataset
across multiple machines.  So you will still be limited by
the memory on a single machine.

As far as I know, R does not have a "memory limitation" --
the only limit is the memory installed on your computer.

-roger