[R] Histograms by two factors

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Fri Feb 6 11:34:53 CET 2004

"Briggs, Meredith M" <Meredith.Briggs at team.telstra.com> writes:

> Hi
>

> I am trying to print out means, STDs and histograms under two sets
> of factors. I can manage it for one set - see below but not for two
> sets. That is, I want ot print out the mean STD and Histogram for
> each ITEM code within each DELIVERABLE code.

Tapply accepts a list of factors, tapply(y,list(Df1,Df2),mean), and so
forth (and the help page does say so...).

> In addition I can only get to view the histogram for the last item.

You do get to view the others, just not for very long ;-)

> How do you get R to stop overriding the histogram for eg level 1 for
> factor 1 by level 2 of factor 1?

par(ask=TRUE) is one possible answer.
Others include
- turning on plot history (in the Windows GUI) or use
  recordPlot/replayPlot
- switching graphics device to a file and viewing it later
- opening a separate graphics device for each histogram
- setting up for multiple plots on the same page.