[R] structured random effects

Douglas Bates bates at stat.wisc.edu
Fri Feb 6 19:28:23 CET 2004

Spencer Graves <spencer.graves at pdf.com> writes:

>       Have you considered "lme"?  For applications like this, I highly
> recommend Pinheiro and Bates (2000) Mixed-Effects Models in S and
> S-Plus (Springer).  I failed to produce anything with "lme" until I
> read this book.     hope this helps.  spencer graves

Actually lme is better suited to nested designs than to crossed
designs and lme doesn't handle generalized linear mixed models.

GLMM from package lme4 does handle generalized linear mixed models but
does not handle crossed random effects easily.

I'm working on code that will handle nested, crossed and partially
crossed random effects but it will be some time before it appears in a
finished package