[R] Normality Test on several groups

Andy Jacobson andyj at splash.princeton.edu
Sat Feb 7 18:38:59 CET 2004

Hi Knut,

 Knut> Unfortunately, a non-significant test is merely
 Knut> non-conclusive (Popper KR, 1979), so one would have to test for
 Knut> equivalence, e.g., as TOST (two one-sided tests).

 Knut> As to whether you can do a Lilliefors test for several groups,
 Knut> that depends entirely on your ability to understand what the
 Knut> underlying question would be (see Adams D 1979)

 Could you please provide more information on the Popper and Adams
 references you cite above?  While I'm fairly certain that Popper
 1979 is:

 Popper, Karl. Objective knowledge: an evolutionary approach. Oxford:
 Oxford University Press; 1979,

 I've had a bit of trouble searching for the Adams reference.  It
 appears that Douglas Adams published "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the
 Galaxy" in 1979, and as a result of that work's popularity there's
 almost no hope of using a general search engine to find a different
 "Adams D 1979".

 On the other hand, the context of the citation:

 Knut> that depends entirely on your ability to understand what the
 Knut> underlying question would be (see Adams D 1979)

 leads me to suspect that you intended to cite The Hitchhikker's
 Guide.

 Cheers,

        Andy
--
Andy Jacobson

andyj at aos.princeton.edu

Program in Atmospheric and Oceanic Sciences
Sayre Hall, Forrestal Campus
Princeton University
PO Box CN710 Princeton, NJ 08544-0710 USA

Tel: 609/258-5260  Fax: 609/258-2850