[R] source() function and crash of R!

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Feb 15 10:30:02 CET 2004

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004, Graciliano M. P. wrote:

> > Do read the posting guide.

Don't post private messages to the list without permission.

> > I bet you get an error message, not a crash, and that you are running R in
> > non-interactive mode: not that you have told us what you are doing in any
> > detail.
> >

> No, actually the R interpreter goes out, like if the process was killed!

You should get an error message followed by normal termination: do please
read the posting guide and follow what it requests.  Killing a process is
not a `crash' ....

> Note that if we open R and type a code with an invalid syntax, R will just
> alert with some error msg. But when loaded with source(), this code makes
> the interpreter quit.
>
> > ...you are running R in non-interactive mode...
>
> What you mean with "non-interactive mode"?

Exactly what I say.  See ?interactive.

> I'm running it from console. On Win32 Rterm, and linux just R. Here's the
> command to start it on Linux:
>
>   $> R --slave --vanilla --gui=none <bridge.r >output.log

That *is* non-interactive mode, when by default errors are fatal.

See ?options, under `error', which refers you to ?stop.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk