[R] ANOVA procedure on the sufficient statistics

Michael Friendly friendly at yorku.ca
Wed Feb 18 14:52:32 CET 2004

>Hi,
>I have a two-way anova with unequal cell numbers that I want to analyze.
>The problem is I don't have individual observations of the data.
>I only have the sufficient statistics (mean, variance, # of observations) for each cell.
>Is there any existing function in S-plus that would allow me to do aov() with the sufficient statistics?

See:
David Larsen, Analysis of Variance With Just Summary Statistics
   as Input,  The American Statistician, May 1992, Vol. 46(2), 151-152.

This is implemented in SAS,
  Doc: http://www.math.yorku.ca/SCS/sasmac/stat2dat.html

Shouldn't be hard to do in R.

Michael Friendly     Email: friendly at yorku.ca
Professor, Psychology Dept.
York University      Voice: 416 736-5115 x66249 Fax: 416 736-5814
4700 Keele Street    http://www.math.yorku.ca/SCS/friendly.html
Toronto, ONT  M3J 1P3 CANADA