[R] saving plots as objects?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Feb 27 08:22:52 CET 2004

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Deepayan Sarkar wrote:

> On Thursday 26 February 2004 14:47, Rajarshi Guha wrote:
> > Hi I had two questions regarding plots:
> >
> > * Is there are way to save a plot in the form of an object such that it
> > could be displayed/modified later?
>
> Depends on what you want to do. Probably not for regular (base) plots.

I think ?recordPlot does this, at least to allow plots to be saved,
displayed again and added to.

> The
> grid package has a concept of objects that can be edited (before and/or
> after plotting them). Functions in the lattice package produce objects
> that may be close to what you want. They are not plots themselves, but
> rather a self-contained description of a plot (in the sense that they
> contain the data as well as instructions on how to plot it). The data part
> cannot be easily changed, but almost everything else can be manipulated
> before plotting.

AFAIK that internal description is not documented and there are no
end-user tools for doing the manipulation.  Can you please point us to
details?   I suspect nothing can _easily_ be changed by end-users at
present.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk