[R] saving plots as objects?

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan at stat.wisc.edu
Fri Feb 27 06:58:51 CET 2004

On Thursday 26 February 2004 14:47, Rajarshi Guha wrote:
> Hi I had two questions regarding plots:
>
> * Is there are way to save a plot in the form of an object such that it
> could be displayed/modified later?

Depends on what you want to do. Probably not for regular (base) plots. The
grid package has a concept of objects that can be edited (before and/or
after plotting them). Functions in the lattice package produce objects
that may be close to what you want. They are not plots themselves, but
rather a self-contained description of a plot (in the sense that they
contain the data as well as instructions on how to plot it). The data part
cannot be easily changed, but almost everything else can be manipulated
before plotting.

Deepayan