[R] Openin a file from spss

Dennis Di Mascio ddimascio at mba05.rsm.nl
Mon Jan 26 16:17:46 CET 2004

Hello everybody,
I'm trying to open an SPSS (version 11.5) file with R (1.8.1 for windows)
and I have some problems. I already used the following syntax to open other
files ant it worked fine. (I loaded the foreign package).
Would be very nice to understand what happened because I'm going to work a
lot on this file and it is a good opportunity to learn R instead of spss and
to confrontate results with my group mates.
I apologize if I'm asking something that is well know to the entire list,
but I browsed briefly through the past articles and I didn't find anything
and I am short in time
Thanks a lot.

dennis.

data <- read.spss("C:/a.sav", use.value.labels=TRUE, max.value.labels=Inf,
to.data.frame=TRUE)
Error in read.spss("C:/a.sav", use.value.labels = TRUE, max.value.labels =
Inf,  :
        Error reading system-file header.
In addition: Warning message:
C:/a.sav: File layout code has unexpected value 50331648.  Value should be
2, in big-endian or little-endian format.