[R] Read In and Output Postscript file

Philipp Pagel p.pagel at gsf.de
Thu Jan 29 08:07:15 CET 2004

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 05:31:11PM -0600, Marc Schwartz wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 14:19, Brad Holmes wrote:
> >
> > Would it be possible to read in a pre-existing postscript file, and
> > output it "as is" through R?
> >
> > I have five plots, and I am placing them in a layout that is 2 X 3. I
> > was hoping to "insert" the pre-existing postscript file made from
> > Molscript in the last spot.
>
> Your e-mail header suggests that you are on a Mac. If you have access to
> MS Word or an alternate document processing program like OpenOffice or a
> functional equivalent, you can import EPS files into a table, with each
> graphic going into a cell in the table. You can then "print" the
> document to a PS file, using a PS printer driver.
>
> Others may have alternate ideas.

Yes: I'd recommend Illustrator rather than Word/OOo for this.

But actually, the original question got me curious. How difficult would
it be to add EPS import to the postscript device? Other devices could
just ignore it or simply read the bounding box and insert the usual
empty box which says "EPS file". I guess I'll go for a litte walk in the
source code when I have a little spare time to burn. ;-)

I mean - this could be really usefull: Finally R would be capable of
producing the wealth of chartjunk other software has offered for
decades! Imagine using your corporate logo instead of boring circles or
dots for plotting! (OK ok - ouch - don't beat me, please...) ;-)

cu
	Philipp

--
Dr. Philipp Pagel                                Tel.  +49-89-3187-3675
Institute for Bioinformatics / MIPS              Fax.  +49-89-3187-3585