[R] Behaviour of R with win98 and XP?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Jul 5 18:25:19 CEST 2004

What are you doing that creates a file path c://Temp//TempFile.csv? That
is not a valid path under Windows: use / not // or, better, use
file.path().  As far as I recall NT-based systems accept empty path
elements and W98 does not.

If this is really R 1.6.1, you are way overdue for an upgrade.

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004, Richard Müller wrote:

> Dear list,
> I encounter a strange problem: I hav R (1.6.1) installed on a notebook with
> winXP-Prof and a similar installation (same path names etc.) on a desktop
> computer with W98.
> I use rcmd BATCH filename to display graphs from the data stored in filename.
> With R on my notebook everything works fine. I have the same data, the same
> filenames, the same paths on th w98-computer. Here I see just a short
> flickering of the console window and that was it.
> Whe I copy the lines of the script in the console window of R, I get the
> following message:
>
> ... /Code: (snip)....
> file="c://Temp//TempFile.csv"
> inp <- scan(file, sep=";", dec=",", list(0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0), skip =
> 13, nlines = 58)
> ..../code(end) snip......
> The error message:
> Error in file(file, "r"): unable to open connection
> In addition: Warning message:
> cannot open file `c://Temp//TempFile.csv'
>
> Does R behave different unter W98 than it does under XP?

Not in this way, but W98 behaves differently from XP in many ways.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk