[R] Creating a minimal package

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Mon Jul 12 08:43:46 CEST 2004

Gabor Grothendieck wrote:

> Duncan Murdoch <dmurdoch <at> pair.com> writes:
>
> : On Sun, 11 Jul 2004 21:28:44 +0000 (UTC), Gabor Grothendieck
> : <ggrothendieck <at> myway.com> wrote:
> :
>
> : >1. when I run skeleton.package realize that I must use the arg
> : >   path = "library"
> : >   The example that is shown there appears to omit that.
> :
> : The default is to put it in the current directory.  The assumption is
> : that you started R where you want to work, or have switched to that
> : directory later.  This is usually true for Unix users, but generally
> : not for Windows users.
> :
> : I'm not sure what sort of change to make here.  path = "library"
> : (literally) won't usually work, because it won't try to create the
> : directory.  Suggestion?
>
> Perhaps we could use:
>
>    path = .libPaths()[[1]]
>
> as the default value of path in package.skeleton.

Actually, that's a bad idea, because you don't want a source package in
your binary library tree.
I'm really happy with the default and the documentation which tells us
about the "path" argument. Most (all?) functions I know do write to the
current working directory. You do not want another default for
write.table() et al. to write the data to, do you?

Uwe Ligges