[R] Permutations

Baskin, Robert RBaskin at ahrq.gov
Tue Jul 13 22:12:46 CEST 2004

I may be confused, but I think what you described will produce greater than
472 million permutations.  I think your second permutation <1 2 4 | 3 5 6 |
7 8 9 | 10 11 12   YES-----2nd permutation> shows that you want more than
just a permutation of entire blocks.

There are a total of 12! (12 factorial) permutations of 1:12 ignoring your
blocking restriction.

There are 3! * 9! Permutations in which the first block has an intrablock
permutation and the rest of the 9 symbols can do anything.  Since there are
4 blocks then there are fewer than 4 * 3! * 9! permutations with intra-block
transfers (this 4*3!*9! double counts some intrablock permutations - you
need to take out of the 9! the count of intra-block only permutations among
the remaining 9 symbols: 3!*3!*3!).

This gives more than
12! - 4*3!*9! + 1 = 9!*[12*11*10 - 4*3*2*1] + 1 = 12*9![110 - 2] + 1 ~ 472
million permutations.

How could you possibly deal with all of these permutations?  If you can deal
with this much junk then maybe you can generate all 12! Permutations and
take out the ones you don't want.

Sorry if I got it totally wrong
bob