[R] Re: R library(e1071) question: definition of performance in tune.* functions

David Meyer david.meyer at wu-wien.ac.at
Tue Jul 13 22:54:31 CEST 2004

Tae-Hoon:

> When we run tune.* for parameter tuning, we get performance value.
> Can you tell me what the definition of it is?

The values returned by tune() are Mean Squared Errors in case of
regression, and simple rates (*no* percentages) in case of
classification. As Andy already suggested, you might want to check if
your target variable is indeed a factor. In case it is and you still get
values greater than 1, drop me a mail with a piece of code (and data)
enabling me to reproduce the phenomenon.

Best,
David

--
Dr. David Meyer
Department of Information Systems

Vienna University of Economics and Business Administration
Augasse 2-6, A-1090 Wien, Austria, Europe
Fax: +43-1-313 36x746
Tel: +43-1-313 36x4393
HP:  http://wi.wu-wien.ac.at/Wer_sind_wir/meyer/