[R] Help with factanal and missing values

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed Jul 14 01:06:59 CEST 2004

Dear Antonio,

Yes. This is set to 1, standardizing the factors, which is conventional.

> "Fn -> Item.a   lam.z	NA" is the grouping of the items to each factor

These (i.e., the lambdas) are conventionally called factor loadings.

> "Fn <-> Fm      gam.w	NA" I take is the covariance among factors.

Yes, though it is unconventional to use gamma to represent a covariance (a
correlation, since the factors are presumably standardized) in factor
analysis.

> Is this correct? Do I need to set variances for each item
> (Item.a <-> Item.a)?

Yes. These *error* variances, which should be free parameters, are
conventionally called uniquenesses in factor analysis.

As a general matter, it would help, I think, to look more carefully at the
example, since it includes factor loadings and uniquenesses. If you haven't
already done so, you might also look at the appendix on structural-equation
models to my R and S-PLUS Companion, which is at
<http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Books/Companion/appendix-sems.pdf>.
This appendix doesn't include a CFA example, but it does explain how to
prepare input to the sem() function.

Regards,
John