[R] nonparametetric bivariate regression

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Wed Jul 21 16:54:09 CEST 2004

Ximing:  Hope you don't mind me cc'ing R-help.

> From: ximing wu
>
> I am looking for something that can fit
> f(x,y)=g(z_1, z_2, z_3,...).
>
> It seems that the packages you mentioned work for:
> z=f(x,y).
>
> Correct me if I am wrong. Thanks anyway for your help.

You're right.  My mistake.  I don't know of packages (or even methods) that
fits the joint distribution.  However, if you're willing to settle for
regression, the polymars() function in the package `polspline' claims to do
this.  mars() in the `mda' package will also accept matrix response, but I
don't know if it just treat the multiple responses as separate univariate

Cheers,
Andy