[R] Cutting heatmap dendrogram

paul.boutros@utoronto.ca paul.boutros at utoronto.ca
Wed Jul 21 18:03:39 CEST 2004

Hi Sean, Martin

    Sean>> Paul, You can certainly get a heatmap of a subset of
    Sean>> your data by simply subsetting.  If you have a group
    Sean>> of genes obtained from cutree, simply do a heatmap on
    Sean>> that set of genes.  If you obtain a set of genes, say
    Sean>> A, and want to do a heatmap on that subset, simply do
    Sean>> heatmap(as.matrix(data[A,])) where A contains either a
    Sean>> logical vector or indices for the genes of interest.
    Sean>> The dendrograms will be generated for those samples
    Sean>> and genes based on the subset of data.  You could, of
    Sean>> course, pass in the sample dendrogram from the
    Sean>> original clustering of all genes if you like.

>this was probably helpful but didn't really answer the original question.

Yeah, I'm okay with getting subsets and plotting them separately, but the goal
is to be able to automatically show and label the subsets on the heatmap itself.

>One thing you (Paul) should do is to "cut()" the dendrogram
>instead of "cutree()"ing the hclust result and then *pass* the
>cut()ed dendrogram directly to heatmap().

Ahh, that makes sense, but maybe I'm missing something?

> samples.dendrogr2 <- cut(samples.dendrogr1, 4);
> samples.dendrogr2
$upper
`dendrogram' with 2 branches and 2 members total, at height 1.082017

$lower
$lower[[1]]
`dendrogram' with 2 branches and 4 members total, at height 0.0631504

$lower[[2]]
`dendrogram' with 2 branches and 12 members total, at height 0.5823986

> plot(samples.dendrogr2);
Error in plot.window(xlim, ylim, log, asp, ...) :
        need finite xlim values
In addition: Warning messages:
1: no finite arguments to min; returning Inf
2: no finite arguments to max; returning -Inf
3: no finite arguments to min; returning Inf
4: no finite arguments to max; returning -Inf

> hv <- heatmap(as.matrix(data), Rowv=genes.dendrogr, Colv=samples.dendrogr2);
Error in lV + rV : non-numeric argument to binary operator

> traceback();
8: oV(x[[1]], wts)
7: oV(x[[1]], wts)
6: oV(x, wts)
5: inherits(x, "dendrogram")
4: midcache.dendrogram(oV(x, wts))
3: reorder.dendrogram(ddc, Colv)
2: reorder(ddc, Colv)
1: heatmap(as.matrix(data), Rowv = genes.dendrogr, Colv = samples.dendrogr2,
       col = my.colors())

Any ideas are (still) very much appreciated!
Paul

>I'm interested to hear if that works (haven't got time to
>experiment with that just now).

    Sean>> It sounds like you are aiming for interactive
    Sean>> clustering, which R does not do well.  Consider using
    Sean>> an external viewer such as the cluster/treeview combo
    Sean>> or the TIGR clustering program (can't remember name).

I'll check out MeV, then, but since the rest of my processing is in R....

    Sean>> Finally, for future reference, it is probably worthwhile posting
    Sean>> microarray questions to the Bioconductor mailing list rather than
    Sean>> R-Help.

>I disagree.  This was a question about heatmap() an R function
>of more general use than microarrays.
>I would have found it "wrong" to ask this question on the
>bioconductor mailing list.

>Martin Maechler

    Sean>> Sean