[R] discriminant analysis

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Jul 23 12:01:57 CEST 2004

I don't think this is `discriminant analysis' as used in English (the
French translation has a wider meaning).  I suggest you start with
multinom (in package nnet, part of the standard R distribution) which does
fit a log-linear model, and rpart (in package rpart) as a classification
tree is often useful to select variables in this sort of problem (and with
49 explanatory variables you are presumably hoping that only a few are
needed).

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk