[R] package.contents() deprecated, what replaces it?

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jul 28 16:41:39 CEST 2004

package.contents("gstat") is really ugly, and not something we would ever
recommend for end users.  E.g. library(help=gstat) has always done a
better job.

The information package.contents regurgitates is itself deprecated, to be
replaced by metadata (in package subdir Meta) that other tools, e.g.
library(help=), can format nicely.  Had namespaces be available back then,
package.contents would never have been user-visible.