[R] S/R programming books

Wolski wolski at molgen.mpg.de
Tue Jun 1 16:05:45 CEST 2004

Hallo Samuel!

 You can find a talk by Friedrich Leisch about S4 at the UseR2004 conference side
"S4 Classes and Methods"
Its a good overview of S3 and S4.
goolge Use R2004 and look for keynotes.

If you decide to use S4 to implement your packages. (what is recomended) you would have no many choises in buying a books. Most of the S/R books are about using R and not about R programming. There is only one book/document  that describes S4 "Programming with Data" by John Chambers (the so called Green Book). The functionality which the "methods" package provides follows the language specification described in this book. So it is a "must have" so to say.

If you do not like S4 you can take a look at Henrik Bengtsson R.oo packages  (Google R.oo). People which like Jave like it much more than S4.

Sincerely Eryk