[R] X/Emacs and R in Linux

Jonathan Baron baron at psych.upenn.edu
Tue Jun 1 19:24:28 CEST 2004

On 06/01/04 10:06, A.J. Rossini wrote:
>We've got lots of docs in various places -- would be great if someone
>could point to all of them.

FWIW, I think that the basic Readme is pretty clear about Unix
installation (which also works on Linux, of course, since Linux
is a form of Unix).  It comes with ESS, and it is on
http://stat.ethz.ch/ESS/ .

But it would be nice to see something in the main ESS site that
is even simpler.  Namely, if you use Xemacs rather the Emacs, ESS
is now a package within Xemacs (although they have not gotten the
latest version yet).  So, on Linux, if you install xemacs and
xemacs-sumo (all the packages in one fat file), all you need to
do is add the line
(require 'ess-site)
to your .xemacs/init.el file.  You can, of course, get RPMs for
both xemacs and xemacs-sumo.  They even come with most (all?)
distributions, so all you have to do is make sure they are
installed.

So this is REALLY EASY, and should, I think, be the standard
approach for those - like Dan Bolser I suspect - who are now
moving to Linux because they have heard that it might be a good
thing to have on their desktops, and not because they like to
fool around with things to get them to work.

Jon
Home page:            http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~baron
R search page:        http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/