[R] nonlinear modeling with rational functions?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Wed Jun 16 17:28:39 CEST 2004

      Rational functions (ratios of polynomials) often provide good
approximations to many functions.  Does anyone know of any literature on
nonlinear modeling with rational functions, sequential estimation,
diagnostics, etc.?  I know I can do it with "nls" and other nonlinear
regression functions, but I'm wondering what literature might exist
discussing how a search for an appropriate rational approximation?

      Thanks,
      Spencer Graves