[R] nonlinear modeling with rational functions?

Tamas Papp tpapp at axelero.hu
Thu Jun 17 08:40:13 CEST 2004

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 10:28:39AM -0500, Spencer Graves wrote:

>      Rational functions (ratios of polynomials) often provide good
> approximations to many functions.  Does anyone know of any literature on
> nonlinear modeling with rational functions, sequential estimation,
> diagnostics, etc.?  I know I can do it with "nls" and other nonlinear
> regression functions, but I'm wondering what literature might exist
> discussing how a search for an appropriate rational approximation?

The book

@Book{judd98,
  author =       {Judd, Kenneth L},
  title =        {Numerical methods in economics},
  publisher =    {MIT Press},
  year =         1998
}

provides some information about constructing rational approximations
(aka Padé approximations) for functions with known algebraic forms,
but not for the estimation from data.

However, the text has some references, in particular

Cuyt, A and L Wuytack. 1986. Nonlinear Numerical Methods: Theory and
Practice. Amsterdam: North-Holland

which you might find helpful.

Best,

Tamas

--
Tamás K. Papp
E-mail: tpapp at axelero.hu
Please try to send only (latin-2) plain text, not HTML or other garbage.