[R] Tutorial for graphics

James MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Thu Jun 17 04:12:48 CEST 2004

I don't know of a good tutorial, but I find that looking at ?par is
usually good for answering most graphing questions.

To resize axes, look at xlim and ylim under ?par. As for changing the
axes, you can suppress the axes using e.g., for the x-axis xaxt="n" in
your plotting function call, and then add your own axis using the axis()
function (see ?axis).

HTH,

Jim

James W. MacDonald
Affymetrix and cDNA Microarray Core
University of Michigan Cancer Center
1500 E. Medical Center Drive
7410 CCGC
Ann Arbor MI 48109
734-647-5623
>>> "Phil" <morenzp at rogers.com> 06/16/04 10:12 PM >>>
Hi all,

I'm coming to R from Matlab and I'm finding it difficult to find a good
introduction to graphics in R.  (The best I've found so far is Ch. 4 of
Emmanuel Paradis "R for Beginners".  Still, I have been unable to
discover
simple things like how to resize the axes on an existing plot, how to
add
(or change) axis labels on an existing plot, etc.  Can anyone point me
to a
suitable tutorial, or even tell me how to perform those tasks?

Also, Matlab's graphical widget has the ability to zoom (and unzoom) by
drawing a rectangle on the graph with the mouse.  Is there anything
similar
in R?

Thanks in advance,

Phil Morenz