[R] Compiling R with Intel compilers - recommended options?

Jin Shusong jinss at hkusua.hku.hk
Fri Jun 18 12:13:06 CEST 2004

Dear Cutts and Prof. Ripley,
On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 09:11:42AM +0100, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
Some benchmarks show icc is faster than gcc and pgcc.  Even
fortran compiler ifort is also faster than pgf77 (See the
result on www.polyhedron.com).  But I still recommend gcc
and g77 as c and fortran compilers if you are on X86 Linux
platforms.  I once compiled R 1.9.0 by icc and ifort.  It
failed some of the checks.  I also found that the difference
between the speed of gcc+g77 and icc+ifort was not
significant when I 'make test-Gct'.
My platform Gentoo Linux pentium4 1.5GHz, 256M RAM and kernel
2.4.26.
gcc version 3.3
icc and ifort version 8.0 non-commercial version.

BTW, can you tell me the flags you used to compile R by pgcc
and pgf77. Thank you.

   Jin