[R] Compiling R with Intel compilers - recommended options?

Tim Cutts tjrc at sanger.ac.uk
Fri Jun 18 12:49:52 CEST 2004

Sorry, I was a bit sparing with details.  Early in the morning, and all
that.

Many thanks for the swift reply!

On 18 Jun 2004, at 9:11 am, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> What OS and hardware is this?

Hardware:  700+ machines are 800 MHz Pentium III, 1 GB RAM, Red Hat 7.2
            168 machines are dual 2.8 GHz Xeon, 4 GB RAM, Red Hat 8.0

I'm compiling on the older machines to make sure there won't be library
problems.

The compiler versions are:

Intel(R) C++ Compiler for 32-bit applications, Version 8.0   Build
20031016Z Package ID: l_cc_p_8.0.055

Intel(R) Fortran Compiler for 32-bit applications, Version 8.0   Build
20040412Z Package ID: l_fc_pc_8.

> Eventually you mention `X86 Linux' but are
> you using x86 Linux and if so how fast processors?  On a 3GHz machine
> make
> check takes a couple of minutes using gcc (and in our experience
> Portland
> Group is faster than gcc -- we have not tried Intel as local advice
> suggests it is slower than PG).

So 12 hours is bit excessive.  :-)  At least now I know.  Thanks!

> Which version of R?  R 1.9.0 does this with gcc 3.4.0 on Linux ix86, at
> the first use of LAPACK.

Ah.  This is indeed 1.9.0, since that is what was asked for.

>   So if you are not trying 1.9.1beta (to be
> released on Monday), please do so.  After that, make check does give
> output so where exactly does it hang, and if you interrupt that check,
> how
> far has it got in the output file?

With 1.9.0, I never get an output file.  On interrupting the make
check, it says:

make[4]: *** Deleting file `base-Ex.Rout'

and hangs again.  I have to background it and kill it.

The same thing happens with 1.9.1.  I think I'll use gcc/g77 as
suggested by others to get a working install for now, and then I will
look into a better optimised version at a more leisurely pace.

Regards,

Tim

--
Dr Tim Cutts