[R] Logistic regression: categorical predictor and continuous response

Christine Parent cparent at sfu.ca
Wed Jun 23 03:28:18 CEST 2004

Hi all,

I am fairly new to R, and not a stats expert. I am having trouble finding
information to help me analyzing my set of data.

I got morphological data on land snail shells of different species from the
Galapagos Islands. Each island has up to 6 different vegetation zones, and
snails have adapted to up to 4 of these zones on each of the major islands.

I would like to test if there is any correlation between the morphology of
the shells which is continuous (I ran a PCA analysis on the morphological
data, and the variation can be parted into two main principal components:
PC1 for size and PC2 for shape) and the vegetation zone where these snails
are found (which is a categorical predictor variable).

I believe I should run a logistic regression on this, but all I could find
in R was an analysis where the predictor was continuous and the response was
categorical. Could anyone direct me to the relevant ref or how to write the
proper script to run a logistic regression analysis where the predictor
would be categorical and the response continuous?

Any help or advice on this would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Christine

Christine Parent
Ph.D. candidate