[R] Logistic regression: categorical predictor and continuous response

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Wed Jun 23 08:26:40 CEST 2004

You can a logistic non-linear regresion with a continuous response -- see
SSlogis in package stats (using nls).

However, I think

> I believe I should run a logistic regression on this

is the problem.  You have six groups of multivariate observations and you
want to know if and how they differ by group(?)  If so the usual
approaches are

- linear and quadratic discriminant analysis, very sensitive to joint
normality.  (lda and qda in package MASS),

- logistic discrimination.  As you have > 2 groups, use multinom in
package nnet.

If you were here I would be directing you to our statistics consulting
service -- do you have a local source of statistics help?

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk