[R] R via ssh login on OS X?

James Howison jhowison at syr.edu
Tue Jun 29 19:32:57 CEST 2004

On Jun 29, 2004, at 3:43 AM, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:

> Did you look at the notes on MacOS X in the R-admin manual (as the
> INSTALL
> file asks)?  That would have told you why lapack failed, and I think
> you
> should redo your build following the advice there.

Clearly I didn't read closely enough.  Thanks for the reminder.  The
build and check completed successfully as a fully non-root build  with
this sequence:

Compile f2c and libf2c and put f2c, f2c.h and libf2c.a in $HOME/f2c.
Run ranlib on libf2c.a

mkdir $HOME/f2c

mkdir ~/Rinstall
mv R-1.9.1.tgz Rinstall/

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/f2c  (So that configure can find the f2c executable)
export LDFLAGS=-L$HOME/f2c/
export CPPFLAGS=-I$HOME/f2c/

./configure --prefix=$HOME/Rinstall/  --with-blas='-framework vecLib'
--with-lapack

make
make check
make install

are all successful.

Built in this way it has no problems with remote login on OS X.  As I
said I haven't found problems with remote log-in at at with 1.9.1

Thanks for the help everyone.

--J

> On Tue, 29 Jun 2004, James Howison wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> then did
>>
>> ./configure --prefix=$HOME/Rinstall/ --enable-R-framework=no
>> --with-x=no --with-lapack=no
>
> Note
>
>    --with-blas='-framework vecLib' --with-lapack
>
> is `strongly recommended', and on some versions of MacOS X `appears to
> be
> the only way to build R'.
>
>> and then
>>
>> make
>>
>> This basically worked but for some reason lapack was still trying to
>> build and that was failing, so I deleted it from the appropriate
>> makefile and the rest of the compile went fine.  The lapack confusion
>> stopped some of the recommended modules from building but I didn't
>> need
>> those (just sna which built fine from CRAN).
>
> [...]
>
> --

--James
+1 315 395 4056