[R] Maps from PX-Map files

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Mon Mar 1 13:15:59 CET 2004

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, F. Tusell wrote:

> I have been handed a CD ROM with statistical data readable with a
> program named PC-Axis. There
> is the possibility of creating custom maps to display the data.
> Aparently, this is handled by a program
> named PX-Map. Looking in the CD ROM I see files with extension .shp
> which I guess contain
> information about boundaries or shapes.

As I read one googled PX-MAP source:

http://www.ginorden.org/konf/getpaper.php?ID=71

it looks as though: "Map data are held in the shape format used by ESRI
ArcView", so either the shapefiles or the maptools packages should be able
to read the polygon boundaries. Matching the polygons to the data may be
more difficult. Fuller details at Statistics Norway:

http://www.ssb.no/english/municipalities/software/pxmap/

from which Windows binaries can be downloaded.

--
Roger Bivand
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no