[R] Import range of cells from Excel

David James dj at research.bell-labs.com
Tue Mar 2 14:48:13 CET 2004

Jean-Noel wrote:
> Dear all,
> I would like to import a range of cells (e.g. F10:K234) from an Excel
> worksheet to R. I have looked for documentation on RODBC and RDCOMClient but
> I was not able to find enough information to solve my problem and all the
> examples I have seen were dealing with an entire worksheet, not a range of
> cells.

In the case of RDCOMClient, you can do:

  xls <- COMCreate("Excel.Application")
  xls[["Workbooks"]]$Open("Book1.xls")
  rng <- xls[["ActiveSheet"]]$Range("F10:K234")
  x <- rng[["Value"]]

Depending on what the range contains (e.g., the range consists
of only one data type or not), x may be a list with each element
corresponding to a column in the excel range.

The thing to remember here is how to build ranges -- e.g., use
the Range() method of the worksheet.  This, though, is not R specific,
and it's determined by the Excel COM specification.

Regards,

--
David