[R] Installation on Windows XP

Haynes, Maurice (NIH/NICHD) haynesm at cfr.nichd.nih.gov
Wed May 5 16:55:02 CEST 2004

David,

See the message of Duncan Murdoch to another user which I have pasted next:

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 09:56:29 -0700, "Brett Melbourne"
<bamelbourne at ucdavis.edu> wrote :

>Alain,
>I'm sure you'll find that the Windows critical update KB835732 has been
>installed on your machine. This is most likely the problem, not SPSS.

I put up a little web page

http://www.murdoch-sutherland.com/HOMEPATH.html

describing this bug in KB835732.  Can you let me know if your
experience with it matches my description?

For newcomers reading this, the symptoms are that R fails to start.
In version 1.9.0 the error message is usually "Fatal Error: INVALID
HOMEDRIVE".  The patched version of 1.9.0 can deal with the bug; the
workaround in earlier ones is to put something like "R_USER=c:/" on
the command line that starts R.

Duncan Murdoch