[R] Re: Windows versus Unix packages in CRAN ...

Duncan Murdoch dmurdoch at pair.com
Tue May 25 01:31:24 CEST 2004

On 24 May 2004 17:18:52 +0200, Peter Dalgaard

>Duncan Murdoch <dmurdoch at pair.com> writes:
>
>> On Fri, 21 May 2004 15:41:18 +0200, Tamas Papp <tpapp at axelero.hu>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >You are probably right in saying that they _could_ have done better,
>> >but I would not use "should" in this context.  AFAIK the package is
>> >free (as in beer) software, which means that you are not paying for
>> >it.  The maintainers probably do not need a Linux version (yet), so it
>> >was not easy to use it under Linux.  Feel free to contribute.
>>
>> Yes, indeed!
>
>Well, yes and no. Yes, people should feel free to help out with the
>maintenance, but no, it is not reasonable to leave cross-platform
>issues unaddressed.

There's a list of packages on CRAN in
/bin/windows/contrib/1.9/@ReadMe that fail to build on Windows for one
reason or another.   Should we critcize the authors of those packages
for not addressing cross-platform issues?  I don't think so.

Why should it be any different when the situation is reversed?

Duncan Murdoch