[R] "privileged slots"

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu May 27 17:50:52 CEST 2004

    Matthias> Hi all, in the help for RClassUtils I found the
    Matthias> expression "privileged slots" in function
    Matthias> "checkSlotAssignment" with the explanation:

    Matthias> /privileged slots (those that can only be set by
    Matthias> accesor functions defined along with the class
    Matthias> itself)/

RClassUtils ???

 > help.search("RClassUtils")

 No help files found with alias or concept or title matching
 'RClassUtils' using fuzzy matching.

-----

So I guess that's not something in a standard R document.
You should rather keep to the 'official documentation' ...

    Matthias> I thought all slots of a (not private) class can
    Matthias> be a accessed by a user via the @ Operator.

I tend to agree with your thoughts...

    Matthias> Is there a way to make a single slot of a class (not
    Matthias> the whole class) private, so that you can access
    Matthias> this slot only via an accessor function (not via @)?

I'd rather guess not.

    Matthias> Thanks, for your help Matthias

Martin