[R] reading .Rprofile at startup in R 2.0.0

Mike Prager Mike.Prager at noaa.gov
Sat Nov 6 17:15:24 CET 2004

You wouldn't find info on setting environment variables in the R FAQ
because environment variables are an operating system feature.  Under
recent versions of Windows, environment variables are stored in the
Registry and can be set persistently through a dialog. In Windows XP, this
is found under My Computer; Properties; Advanced; Environment Variables. I
would set a User, rather than System, variable; it matters only if more
than one user on your PC is making use of R and they want different profiles.

As you say, unless you are familiar with this, it could be easier just to
move the file. The advantage of using an environment variable is that you
can put the file where YOU want it. To most folks, that is a non-issue.
Some of us however are determined to bend computers to our wills, rather
than the other way around. We frequently fail but keep trying.

Regards,
MHP