[R] Firefox keyword searches for R & S-Plus

Romain François francoisromain at free.fr
Fri Nov 12 22:57:07 CET 2004

Hello Kevin,

That's a good idea to use the functionnality of firefox to search for
help in R.
I wonder if that is possible to perform the search in the searchplugins
(like google), I tried to but there is always the characters %20= that
messed up with the one I was actually looking at.
Maybe something I don't see well, I created the following file in my
C:/Program Files/Mozilla Firefox/searchplugins directory (just copying
the google one)

# Mozilla/R plug-in by francoisromain at free.fr

<search
   name="R"
   description="R search engine"
   method="GET"
   action="file:///C:/Program%20Files/R/rw2000/doc/html/search/SearchObject.html"

<input name=" " user>

<interpret
    browserResultType="result"
    charset = "UTF-8"
    resultListStart="<!--a-->"
    resultListEnd="<!--z-->"
    resultItemStart="<!--m-->"
    resultItemEnd="<!--n-->"

</search>

Any idea ?
Sorry for my english.

Romain.

kwright at eskimo.com a écrit :

>If you've 'rediscovered the web' with Firefox (http://getfirefox.com), you
>might find this tip handy.  Suppose you want to search the (local) R
>documentation for information about the lme function.  Wouldn't it be nice
>to just type into the browser address bar:
>  r lme
>and have the search performed?  Here's how (on Windows):
>
>Click on this link:
>file:///C:/Progra~1/rw2000/doc/html/search/SearchObject.html?%s
>
>Bookmark the page and name the bookmark something like: R 2.0.0 doc search
>
>Edit the properties of the bookmark (by right-clicking on the bookmark)
>and in the keywords field enter: r
>
>Click OK.
>

>That's all there is to it except for a couple of notes:
>
>1. The first time the local search is performed (during a browser
>session), the java search applet has to be loaded.  This takes several
>seconds.
>
>2. If you use a different operating system, a different version of R, or
>install R in a different location, change the bookmark path to the
>"SearchObject" file as appropriate.
>
>3. By default this only searches Help page titles.  You may prefer a more
>comprehensive search that includes Keywords and Object names.  Edit the
>SearchObject.html file and change 'false' to 'true' in the following line:
>  line = line + document.SearchEngine.search (searchstring,true,true,true);
>

>Here are my R and S-Plus bookmarks.  I'll just give the link, my bookmark
>name, and my bookmark keyword.
>
>http://www.google.com/u/newcastlemaths?q=%s
>R mail archive search
>rh
>
>http://www.google.com/search?q=site:www.biostat.wustl.edu+[S]+%s
>S-news archive search
>sn
>
>file:///C:/Progra~1/rw2000/doc/html/search/SearchObject.html?%s
>R 2.0.0 doc search
>

>Happy searching!
>
>Kevin Wright

Romain François