[R] Firefox keyword searches for R & S-Plus

kwright@eskimo.com kwright at eskimo.com
Sat Nov 13 03:13:02 CET 2004

Nice idea.  A couple of comments.

1. I personally always install R in c:/R/ instead of c:/Program Files/
There are frequently comments on R-help that it is better to avoid paths
with spaces.  Still, you should be able to use /Progra~1/ instead of
/Program Files/

2. The search engine plugin that you have created generates a URL like this:
.../SearchObject.html?q=nlme

What is needed is a URL like
.../SearchObject.html?%s
where the %s is the string from the text box.

I speculate it might be possible to change the SearchObject.html file to
grab the "q=nlme" and strip off the "q=" but I have no idea if this is
possible.

I'm not comfortable with HTML/Java/Javascript to get this working properly.

3. My comment about editing the SearchObject.html file to change the
"false" to "true" doesn't seem to cause the search to match the results
obtained using the traditional way of opening the search page and typing
in the text.
I'm not sure why.  Would love it if someone figured this out.

Seems like all of this would be fairly easy for a good web programmer.

Kevin