[R] R and fluxbox: 100% CPU usage

David Whiting david.whiting at ncl.ac.uk
Mon Nov 15 18:17:39 CET 2004

Hi,

In July I reported a problem I was having with R and the fluxbox
windows manager (with Linux).  The interaction of R and fluxbox causes
CPU to go to 100% when trying to create even a simple plot. It is the
R process that is at 100%. R with any other window manager was fine,
and all other applications (that I use) seem to run okay in fluxbox.

I have updated both R (2.0.0) and fluxbox (0.9.10) and still have the
same problem. I am not very familiar with gdb but gave it a go. I ran
R and created a plot so that the R process was at 100% CPU usage. I
then started gdb and attached the R process and CPU usage returned to
normal (but I didn't get my plot). I detached the process and CPU
usage went back up to 100%, attached it again and it went back to
normal . . ..

I would love to get this sorted out because I would like to use
fluxbox, but can't because I am so dependent on R.

Any ideas how I should proceed (incl. possibly spending more time
reading the gdb man page).

Thanks.

Dave

--