[R] R and fluxbox: 100% CPU usage

Mon Nov 15 19:00:39 CET 2004

On Mon, 2004-11-15 at 17:17 +0000, David Whiting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In July I reported a problem I was having with R and the fluxbox
> windows manager (with Linux).  The interaction of R and fluxbox causes
> CPU to go to 100% when trying to create even a simple plot. It is the
> R process that is at 100%. R with any other window manager was fine,
> and all other applications (that I use) seem to run okay in fluxbox.
>
> I have updated both R (2.0.0) and fluxbox (0.9.10) and still have the
> same problem. I am not very familiar with gdb but gave it a go. I ran
> R and created a plot so that the R process was at 100% CPU usage. I
> then started gdb and attached the R process and CPU usage returned to
> normal (but I didn't get my plot). I detached the process and CPU
> usage went back up to 100%, attached it again and it went back to
> normal . . ..
>
> I would love to get this sorted out because I would like to use
> fluxbox, but can't because I am so dependent on R.
>
> Any ideas how I should proceed (incl. possibly spending more time
> reading the gdb man page).

Dave,

Have you reported anything to the fluxbox folks for their consideration?

Not exactly the same thing, but there was a problem a while back (under
FC 1 if memory is correct) with Metacity which is GNOME's default window
manager and Xemacs.

When using Xemacs (with ESS for example) and you maximized the Xemacs
window, CPU use went to 100% and Xemacs effectively locked. If you
simply increased the size of the Xemacs window via dragging with the
mouse, there was no problem.

Under other window managers (ie. Xfwm4 which I use with Xfce), there was
no problem. It was specific to Metacity under GNOME.

To my knowledge the bug is unresolved and there was some dispute as to
the source of the problem.

I am not familiar with fluxbox, but their developers might have some
insight into any particular interactions that might be the root cause of
your problem.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz