[R] Rcmdr -> doItAndPrint -> summary method of S4-class object not in Rcmdr window but R Console

Pfaff, Bernhard Bernhard.Pfaff at drkw.com
Mon Nov 22 11:33:44 CET 2004

Dear list member,

John Fox proposed to me posting this problem to R-Help:

I have written a function suited for Rcmdr and included this in a R-file
located in Rcmdr/etc as well as an augmented `Rcmdr-menus.txt'.

Now, I am faced with the following problem:
method show() of a S4-class object works flawlessly, that is `doItAndPrint'
works flawlessly and its output is returned correctly into the Rcmdr-Window.
However, by using method summary() for the same S4-class object fails, in
the sense that the output is *not* printed in the Rcmdr window, but into the
R Console. The summary()-method contains cat() and slots of the S4-class
objects only.

My question is: How can it be achieved that method summary() of S4 objects
is printed in the RCmdr window and why, in the first instance, does it fail
to do so by using `doItAndPrint'.

Any help or pointer is much appreciated,

Best Regards
Bernhard

platform i386-pc-mingw32
arch     i386